Rug Size Guide
TIPS FOR CHOOSING THE RIGHT SIZE RUG
Determining the right size of the rug is just as important as finding the right colour and pattern. The wrong size rug can make a room look cluttered, too small or unbalanced. Here are some tips to choosing the right size rugs to create your desired look in your home.
Under the coffee tables
- Choose a rug that accommodates all four legs of the table.
- Make sure that it is big enough so you can walk around the table while being on the rug.
- Rugs should roughly be the length and width of the furniture within the space.
- If opting for a rug with a nice pattern, keep in mind that the furniture will hide a part of it.
- Choose a rug that extends beyond the chairs in the pulled out position, as you would to sit down.
- Make sure that your rug is wider than your coffee table. A rug can define the lounge room space and be a link between two lounges.
- Balance the living area by leaving an equal amount of rug around the furniture grouping.
- If the rug touches the walls around the room it may look oversized.
- Don’t get a small size rug for large living areas. Use a rug to define the space and incorporate your furniture to anchor the rug.
- When choosing a patterned rug, remember that the bed may cover some or most of pattern.
- Allow for some space between the bed and the walls on both sides of the bed.
- Small rugs can be used effectively by placing on either or both sides of the bed