Determining the right size of the rug is just as important as finding the right colour and pattern. The wrong size rug can make a room look cluttered, too small or unbalanced. Here are some tips to choosing the right size rugs to create your desired look in your home.
Under the coffee tables
- Choose a rug that accommodates all four legs of the table.
- Make sure that it is big enough so you can walk around the table while being on the rug.
- Rugs should roughly be the length and width of the furniture within the space.
- If opting for a rug with a nice pattern, keep in mind that the furniture will hide a part of it.
- Choose a rug that extends beyond the chairs in the pulled out position, as you would to sit down.
- Make sure that your rug is wider than your coffee table. A rug can define the lounge room space and be a link between two lounges.
- Balance the living area by leaving an equal amount of rug around the furniture grouping.
- If the rug touches the walls around the room it may look oversized.
- Don’t get a small size rug for large living areas. Use a rug to define the space and incorporate your furniture to anchor the rug.
- When choosing a patterned rug, remember that the bed may cover some or most of pattern.
- Allow for some space between the bed and the walls on both sides of the bed.
- Small rugs can be used effectively by placing on either or both sides of the bed